The Coroner’s Report into the death of young teen found in a Port Moody Starbucks last year confirms that she died of an “unintentional overdose of heroin and fentanyl.”
Gwyn Staddon’s death brought the severity of B.C.’s fentanyl crisis front-and-centre, but it wasn’t the only high-profile overdose at the time.
Michelle Jansen, whose son was in a relationship with Staddon before her death, also lost her other son Brandon to an overdose only months before.
She knew Staddon well, and says the young woman died before she could get the help she wanted.
“She did enter a detox facility for five days but when the detox facility told her that it would be a four to six month waiting time before she could get into a treatment centre she became so disillusioned that she left the detox centre and commenced, again, her drug use.”
Jansen went on to say that Staddon’s death could have been avoided, were there enough resources to serve users who want help.
“It was a senseless death that could have been prevented had the treatment bed been available for her.”
Michelle says that very shortly after Staddon left the facility, she was found dead.