It’s foodie Friday again, where we’re joined by cookbook author and President and Founder of The Gourmet Warehouse Caren McSherry with another mouth watering recipe.
This week, we’re talking about how to make the perfect braised lamb shanks.
What you’ll need
- 6 lamb shanks (To maximize the flavour and intensity, rub the shanks with your favourite rub and let it sit overnight. The results are amazing.)
- 5 Tbsp Moroccan rub, such as NOMU or Cote d’Azur
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pinches of saffron threads, pounded into a powder
- 1 Tbsp hot Spanish Smoked Paprika
- 3 cups chicken or veal stock
How to do it
Rub the shanks with the spice rub, ensuring that you cover all surfaces. Refrigerate overnight.
Heat the oven to 425 °F. Place the seasoned shanks single layer on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and roast for about 30 minutes turning to ensure even browning on all sides.
While the shanks are roasting, heat the oil in a large dutch oven, stir in the diced onion, minced garlic, pounded saffron and paprika. Saute until soft but not brown, about 5-8 minutes.
Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, add the roasted shanks and cover with parchment. Place the lid on the pot and cook at 325 °F for 2 hours.
Remove the shanks from the pot, set aside and keep warm, straining the sauce to keep for later.
Prepare the orzo.
To serve, spoon the orzo onto your serving dish, top with the lamb shank and
Ladle a spoon of the sauce over top, and serve immediately.