All eyes are on how much money the province sinks into education when Tuesday’s budget rolls out, but one advocate isn’t holding her breath for good news.
Cindy Dalglish has been one of many voices to criticize the province’s underfunding of education.
She says recent education funding announcements over recent weeks and months have been good, but also lack specific details of where, when, and how the money will get used.
“My gut tells me they’re going to try and spin it in some way. There’s going to be cuts somewhere else to make up for the amount of money that they’re going to have to inject. I think that they’re going to fall short regardless of the amount of pressure that we’ve put on.”
For her, Tuesday could feel like just another drop in the bucket.
“I’m not buying what they sell on Tuesday until I see it put into action. A budget is yet another announcement. and this government has been good at announcing things and re-announcing them a few years later that they’re brand new.”
Dalglish lauded last month’s announcement of $217-million for Surrey schools but is waiting to see where and how exactly that money is spent before she calls it a win.
BCTF president Glen Hansman told CKNW last week that they’re looking for $300-million and a gradual cease of funding to private schools.