A five-month-old puppy was given Naloxone last week after suffering from what a vet believes to be an opioid overdose.
Chica, a Pug cross, was out for a walk with her owner in Mount Douglas Park in Saanich when she ate something and became sick shortly after.
Chica’s owners rushed her to the vet later that afternoon, after she became ‘wobbly’ and unresponsive.
Dr Helen Rae with McKenzie Veterinary Services says they tried a small dose Naloxone as a last resort.
She says, “We were getting pretty suspicious that this could be a narcotic overdose… so at that point, I tested her out with just a very low dose of Naloxone and she responded immediately. That to me is a fairly positive indication that it was a narcotic of some sort that she got into.”
Rae says it is not known whether or not the pup ingested fentanyl or another opiate.
She adds some vet clinics do carry Naloxone, because they use opiate painkillers.