The fate of a downtown Vancouver tent city will be decided Monday.
A judge could grant an injunction to the city, which would result in the residents at 58 W Hastings St. being kicked out of their makeshift campground.
But Maria Wallstam with the Carnegie Community Action Project, says she’s still hopeful for a positive outcome.
“I think there was precedent set in Victoria this summer where the judge didn’t grant the injunction to the province when they tried to dismantle a tent city. The judge said the benefits of the camp outweighed the harms of the camp and so we’re hoping that the judge for tomorrow will make a similar case and not grant the injunction.”
Last month, the City of Vancouver filed for a B.C. Supreme Court injunction to shutdown the site, on health and safety grounds.
Following a two-week adjournment, a decision is finally set to be made, but Wallstam says residents have nowhere else to go.
“This decision, the injunction, is going to have very real significant impact on people’s lives. If they are forced to move, they are going to be moved into back alleys, and forced to sleep out by themselves, isolated in the city.”
She says there are currently 14 people living at the site.