The BC Supreme Court has adjourned the city’s injunction application to remove the tent city at 58 West Hastings.
The encampment’s residents have been given another 11 days to find housing after the decision was made to postpone a hearing until Nov. 14.
This also provides time for residents to seek legal council.
Originally, members of the homeless community were given just 24 hours to vacate the campground.
But Maria Wallstam with the Carnegie Community Action Project says the residents now have more time to consider their options.
“In the meantime, what we’re asking for, is that the city clean up the city they mess that they have created here at the tent city. They have intimidated tent city residents to leave and they’ve left and they haven’t cleaned up the stuff after them and that’s the city’s responsibility to do that work.”
She says it’s a small victory, but they have more work to do.
“I think we’re going to put forward a legal case. People shouldn’t be displaced into the back alleys, they should be provided with housing options. This is what happened in Victoria where there was a precedent there, set, where the province had to provide all of the tent city residents with housing before evicting them and that’s what we want as well.”
There are 14 homeless people currently living in the tent city.
Last month, the city unveiled its $70 million plan to create 250 units of social housing at that site.