A dog owner is warning others to keep an eye on their family pets during firework displays after her dog became spooked by a fire cracker and got hit by a train as a result.
Ali Fluevog was at Trout Lake Park with her family and her dog Maggie when a firecracker went off that scared her dog.
Maggie bolted onto the tracks at Nanaimo Skytrain where she was hit by a train.
Speaking to Global News, Fluevog has a message for those letting off fireworks in residential areas.
“I would just say ‘stop and think about parents with young kids. Think about what you are doing, there are consequences and in a dense city like Vancouver, where there are so many dog lovers, it’s just not the place to do it. Go somewhere else.'”
Fluevog says she thought it would be safe to walk her dog during day light.
“We went during day light hours because we know that at Halloween, lots of firecrackers and fireworks go off so we don’t take her out after dark. But it was day light, so for this to happen, it’s really frustrating.”
Last week the SPCA issued a warning to keep pets indoors during firework displays.