A person has died after contracting listeria linked to a Richmond grocery store.
Vancouver Coastal Health confirms someone who bought items from “Foody World” in Richmond and contracted listeria has died.
Gavin Wilson says the source of the outbreak was produce, ready to eat meat products and/or baked goods.
“Food samples were taken from the grocery store and some tested positive for listeria. Listeria was also found in the food processing areas of the kitchen.”
He says at least six people have been hospitalized due to listeria linked to Foody World.
“Some of the foods that we are particularly concerned about are ready to eat meat products such as BBQ’ed pork, marinated meats as well as sushi, produce and baked goods all of these items.”
Wilson says symptoms can vary.
“For a healthy individual they may just feel the common symptoms of food poisoning but for elderly people, people with compromised immune systems, young children, pregnant women it can be much more serious and can result in death.”
He says the contaminated items may have been purchased as far back as July.