A small fire broke out at the notorious Regent Hotel on Vancouver’s the Downtown Eastside early Wednesday morning.
Police shut down East Hastings from Main Street to Columbia for about an hour, as fire crews dealt with a blaze that broke out at the single-room occupany hotel.
One tenant says a neighbour smelled smoke.
“Then one of the neighbours went there, and the flames were like half way up, and he tried putting it out, and pressed the fire alarm.”
She says the decrepit building has a number of health and safety issues.
“We don’t got heat, we don’t got hot water, there’s rats, mice. There is black mold everywhere, on every floor the showers don’t work.”
The hotel is the subject of a lawsuit due to the poor living conditions the tenants must endure.