The Duke and Duchess will kick off their Canadian tour on Sept. 24 when they arrive in Victoria.
They will fly to Vancouver by float plane the following day for a civic welcome downtown at Jack Poole Plaza and a visit to a charity for addicted mothers on the city’s Downtown Eastside. The Royal Family will then make stops in Kelowna, B.C., Whitehorse, Bella Bella and Haida Gwaii before returning to Victoria for an official farewell in the Inner Harbour on Oct. 1.
So if you are lucky enough to meet the Duke and Duchess during their trip, what should you remember to do… and not to do?
Charles MacPherson, Founder of Charles MacPherson Associates Inc., North America’s only registered school for butlers and household managers, breaks down best etiquette for the royal visit.
FAUX PAS TO AVOID
- DO NOT ask for a selfie.
- WHY? Not only is Her Majesty the Queen not a fan of the craze, but there just isn’t enough time to take one with every person the Duke and Duchess meet.
- DO NOT attempt to shake the Duke and/or Duchess’ hand.
- WHY? Say hello, welcome them to Canada, but there are far too many people for the royal couple to meet, there’s no time to stop so often.
- EXCEPTION: If they offer YOU their hand, go for it!
- DO NOT expect Princess Catherine to hang on to the flowers you give her.
- WHY? It’s nothing personal, and flowers are a lovely gift, but she will likely hand them off to a lady in waiting after thanking you.
- DO NOT bring a gift if you get the chance to meet them one-on-one.
- WHY? It’s a nice gesture in theory, but it’s really not appropriate.
- DO NOT hug the Duke or Duchess.
- WHY? Again, just not appropriate.
- DO NOT ask Prince William, “hey, how’s your grandma doing?”
- WHY? It’s too informal! Always refer to her as Her Majesty the Queen.
- DO NOT go out and spend more money than you can afford buying a fancy outfit to meet the Duke and Duchess in.
- WHY? That’s not what the royal couple wants you to do, they’d prefer anyone they meet to just be themselves and enjoy the moment with them.
You can find the itinerary for entire duration of the royal visit here.