It’s back to school next week… and that means that parents will be trying their hardest to pack healthy snacks and lunches for their kids. Caren McSherry from the Gourmet Warehouse joined us in studio to discuss healthy recipes for your child to eat while at school!
Caren McSherry’s Delicious Protein Bars
This perfect no bake bar is so easy and so healthy. A perfect lunch snack, or after school pick up, just a healthy jolt of energy.
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons nut butter, peanut, almond, cashew
- 1 cup chopped dried fruits (figs, dates, apricots, cherries, etc)
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 cup puffed rice
- Optional: Add ¼ cup chopped chocolate, 1 tablespoon Dutch cocoa powder
Combine the sunflower, pumpkin and chia seeds. Place in a shallow tin and roast at 300F for about 10 minutes. Be careful as they burn easily. Shake the pan for even toasting. Let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the cooled seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, nut butter, chopped fruits and puffed rice. The mixture will be sticky but stir to combine.
Transfer to a shallow pan and press firm to compress the mixture. Chill and cut into bars or roll into balls to make it easy. This is not a firm bar as it is not baked.