After weeks of speculation as to what caused Prince’s death, the medical examiner’s office in Minneapolis has released it’s findings.
It was an accidental fentanyl overdose. Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid narcotic primarily used for cancer patients in severe pain, and about 50 to 100 more toxic than morphine.
It is increasingly being cut into street drugs such as heroin, cocaine, and oxycodone and can be deadly.
Prince, whose full name was Prince Rogers Nelson, died on April 21st after being found unresponsive in his home.
Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, he continued to live there until his death.
He sold over 100 million records worldwide, becoming one of the best selling artists of all time.