Eight dogs and two cats are dead, and a ninth dog has been rushed to the vet after flames broke out at the Burnaby dog trainer’s home where they were staying.
Assistant Fire Chief Erik Vogel says crews arrived to find the house on Fulwell street filled with smoke and rushed to pull the animals out and try to resuscitate them.
“Everybody tried to do what they could, we used up all of our oxygen masks, we actually have a couple of pet O2 masks that were donated about a year ago, and we needed all of the oxygen masks that were here.”
But he says despite best efforts, most of the animals didn’t make it.
Vogel says the incident has left both the female homeowner, and attending firefighters badly shaken.
“She’s pretty shook up as you can imagine. Her pet and other people’s pets that she was in charge of.”
“Everybody’s kinda shook up. You know, we’ve all got pets and and it was a pretty surreal situation to walk into. The homeowner was bringing the dogs out as we got here, and sort of stopped then and our guys rescued the rest.”
He says the dogs had been left alone in the house while the trainer went out to teach a dog class.
He says it’s unclear what sparked the fire, but that it may have broken out in the kitchen.
He couldn’t say whether the trainer had any form of licensing.
The SPCA has been notified and is attending the scene.