Lawyers representing Allan Schoenborn will be in court again on Thursday, and the family of the three children he killed are not happy about it.
Family spokesperson Dave Teixeira says Schoenborn’s lawyers will ask to delay a hearing set for May 2 in which Crown counsel will apply to have the man declared a ‘high-risk accused.’
Such a designation would force Schoenborn to wait longer to ask for more freedom from a psychiatric facility in Coquitlam. His next chance is at the end of May.
“We have always been fearful of this, that this would be yet another delay tactic. In this case, what we believe Schoenborn’s folks are trying to do here is to delay the hearing past the next review board hearing.”
Teixeira says he nor the Clarke family will be able to attend on Thursday, and hopes the judge won’t grant the delay request.
BACKGROUND: What does “high-risk accused” mean?
Not criminally responsible
Schoenborn killed his daughter Kaitlynne and two sons, Max and Cordon in Merritt in 2008.
A judge found him not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder in a 2010 trial, and he has been living in a forensic psychiatric hospital in Port Coquitlam since then.
Last spring, he was granted escorted day passes from the facility – something a high-risk accused designation would end.