We can finally tell you who won that $50-million Lotto Max jackpot last year in B.C.
The ticket wasn’t handed in until the last minute, and the BC Lotto Corporation has taken nearly two years to reveal who takes home the cash.
It’s a family of three from Langley: Friedrich and Annand Mayrhofer, and their son, Eric.
It took so long for the winners to be named publicly because the family had signed the ownership of the ticket over to a trust before coming forward.
A trust or corporation cannot claim the winnings, so it took a while for the ownership to be transferred back.
On Tuesday, Friedrich, a retired steel fabricator, greeted the cameras.
He joked about an old winning ticket from decades ago that earned him $1,000.
“I put it on the fridge. It took 20 years to get a few more zeroes on the end.”
He says it took time to figure out how to handle such a big win, and that he doesn’t mind that they lost out of half a million dollars in interest. He also said if he had to do it again, he would go in to claim the ticket right away.
He says his family has been living in the same home for 30 years so they want to do some remodeling, adding his wife wants new furniture.
LISTEN to Friedrich Mayrhofer talk about winning $50 million:
Mayrhofer says they didn't tell a lot of people. Don't really care about $500K lost in interest. "Family more impt" pic.twitter.com/hptQpuGdcV— Charmaine de Silva (@char_des) December 15, 2015
Mayrhofer says they did try to remain anonymous. But "we are public now!" @BCLC— Charmaine de Silva (@char_des) December 15, 2015
Mayrhofer says win was a surprise. Says it took time to handle such big win, spoke to advisors. Tried a trust option. @BCLC— Charmaine de Silva (@char_des) December 15, 2015