What is now Kitsilano beach was originally known as Greer’s Beach, named for the pioneer who unsuccessfully challenged the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) take over of his homestead here in the 1890s. Later, private citizens raised the money to purchase the beach front land back from the CPR while the Park Board leased additional lots to create this popular park.
During the summer, dozens of vacationing tent campers – many from the city’s fashionable West End – lined Kits Beach, then called Greer’s Beach after one of the area’s earliest settlers. East of the beach area was the Kitsilano Indian Reserve, on the site of today’s Vanier Park. The Coast Salish village of Snauq was located on the shore of False Creek, slightly to the east of the Museum-Planetarium Complex.
Kitsilano Pool, Vancouver’s largest draw and fill salt water pool was opened at the water’s edge in 1931 and became an instant success. It was replaced in 1979 by an ocean side tank (about 150 meters at its outer most edge) which sports salt water and is heated.