Employees of a Vancouver daycare hope a close call will remind people to be more vigilant with cigarette butts.
A compost caught fire near 11 W 10th Avenue around 4:30pm, next to a childcare facility.
Tim Wong with “Wee Care” daycare says he called 9-1-1 and luckily crews arrived within minutes.
“If someone didn’t catch it in time, flames could have been afew feet higher, there is lots of grass around, lots of residential buildings around here, it could have been alot worse.”
Cigarette butts were visible in the area, but officials have yet to determine an official cause.