St. Albert Fire Services is blaming a citronella candle for a blaze that destroyed one home and damaged two others.
Chief Ray Richards says that the fire started around 9:00pm Tuesday at the front entrance of a two-storey house on Normandeau Crescent in St. Albert.
"It is believed that (the candle) was the ignition source and it ignited something in the immediate area," says Richards.
Fire crews had the blaze under control within 45 minutes and Richards credits the quick response by neighbours.
"The call came in very very early from the neighbours, which helped us immensely to get on scene within six minutes. That is very positive that neighbours called it in quickly."
A husband, wife and their three-year-old son all escaped unharmed.
Richards estimates the combined damage to the three properties be to around $1 million. (ks)