MAP: Zoom in or out, click on a riding to see advanced voting turnout numbers and percentages
British Columbians flocked to the polls early this year, taking advantage of six extra days to cast their ballots.
In total, more than 614,000 people voted early this year, that’s 19 per cent of all registered voters. Just 57 per cent of registered voters turned out in total in 2013.
It’s also a significant jump from 2013’s early voting turnout, when 366,558 people cast early ballots, just 11 per cent of registered voters.
The jump comes after Elections BC added two additional early voting days, up from four advanced voting days in 2013. It also split the voting across two weekends, instead of a single Wednesday to Saturday block.
Even so, about 40,000 more people had voted early after four days this year than in all of 2013.
Saturday May 6, perhaps bolstered by warm sunny weather, saw the best turnout with 126,491 people voting. The previous Saturday and first day of early voting drew 122,465 voters.
Whether the big jump in numbers will translate to an overall boost in turnout remains to be seen.
Top performing ridings
Ten ridings saw turnout of more than 10,000, six of them on Vancouver Island where the Green Party is making a concerted effort to break through.
The top performing riding by total turnout was Saanich North and the Islands, locked in a tight three way race, with 12,380 early voters. The North Coast was the poorest performer, with just 14,220 early voters.
In terms of percentage of registered voters, Esquimalt-Metchosin did the best pulling in a whopping 29 per cent. Richmond North Centre did the worst, at 10 per cent.
By total turnout
- Saanich North and the Islands — 12,380
- Courtenay-Comox — 11,427
- Esquimalt-Metchosin — 11,039
- Cowichan Valley — 10,639
- Parksville-Qualicum — 10,596
- Victoria-Beacon Hill — 10,591
- Vancouver-Fairview — 10584
- Vancouver-Point Grey — 10,109
- Oak Bay-Gordon Head — 9,892
- Penticton — 9,889
By percentage of registered voters
- Esquimalt-Metchosin — 29.29%
- Courtenay-Comox — 26.96%
- Saanich North and the Islands — 26.77%
- Boundary-Similkameen — 26.40%
- Vancouver-Point Grey — 25.97%
- Vancouver-Quilchena — 25.45%
- Surrey-Newton — 25.26%
- Vancouver-West End — 24.99%
- Oak Bay-Gordon Head — 24.70%
- Langford-Juan de Fuca — 24.31%