Foodie Friday is here, and it happens to fall on Cinco de Mayo!
We’re joined by cookbook author and President and Founder of The Gourmet Warehouse Caren McSherry with a recipe to both celebrate the Mexican holiday, and showcase a magical food marriage.
Certain combinations of foods marry well: salmon and Pinot Noir, macaroni and cheese, and crab and avocado.
For this appetizer, you can use a healthy multi-grain tortilla chip: an “anti-junk snack food” that may inspire you to take it beyond salsa.
What you’ll need
- 1 large Roma tomato, chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30ml)fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp (5-10ml) of your favourite hot sauce
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 24 multigrain tortilla chips, kept whole
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) fresh crab meat (or chicken), shredded
- 1 cup (250 g) grated Monterey Jack
For the guacamole, cut the Roma tomato in half; squeeze out the juice and dice.
Place in a medium bowl with mashed avocado, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, hot sauce
and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well; add the salt and pepper to taste if you need to. Set aside.
Choose chips that are completely whole and lay them on a baking sheet. Place 1 tbsp (15 ml) of guacamole on each chip. Divide the crabmeat evenly among the chips and top with the grated cheese.
Broil in a preheated oven until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Transfer to a colourful serving platter and enjoy!