The quick thinking of those nearby averted a possibly fatal conclusion to what was said to be another horrific overdose on the Downtown Eastside.
According to witnesses, a man overdosed in his apartment in Blood Alley Square just after 5 p.m., but the tea lights he had nearby ignited his clothing.
Thankfully, Adam Parsons, who works at the nearby restaurant Gringo came to his aid after word got out about the fire.
Parsons says he got to the scene and put the man out with the extinguisher he took with him.
“It was like his whole lower half was on fire. When I extinguished the fire he was black and green, and I didn’t to try and touch him or anything because I didn’t know first aid. So I just made sure it was clear and waited until the ambulance came by.”
He left alive we're told, he was rescued by a nearby business owner who came to his aid with an extinguisher
— Jeremy Lye (@JJLye980) May 4, 2017
After extinguishing the fire, he says he let first responders do the rest.
“I knew the ambulance was coming, I heard the sirens so I knew they were coming by, so as soon the ambulance came I kind of waved them down and told them ‘the guy is up there.’”
Parsons says the ordeal left him shaken.
“I had to throw up afterward, and I cried. It was crazy, I never want to do that again. I’m still really feeling it, and my boss is really nice so he said I could go home and that’s pretty much what I’m going to do now.”
One first responder told CKNW the man suffered serious third-degree burns to his legs, but was taken from the area alive.