Translink’s CEO is reaffirming that no matter who emerges as the victor of the May 9 provincial election, the Pattullo Bridge needs to go by 2023.
This comes amid a barrage of transit funding promises from the BC NDP, Green, and Liberal parties, with the latter committing to a third of the cost for a replacement, but so far, nothing more.
TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond says by 2023, the bridge won’t be structurally sound.
“Very old bridge, it’s not built to modern seismic standards, if you have ever driven on that bridge it’s a very, very narrow two-lane bridge, there are accidents on that bridge.”
He went on to say there is no wiggle room when it comes to the 2023 deadline.
“We need to, as I said, double down with the new government and figure it out… there may be options, and we’ve got to put all those options on the table so that we can fully finance this bridge.”
The NDP have committed to funding 40 per cent of the TransLink Mayors’ Council plan, which includes replacing the bridge.