The weather may not be ideal, but it’s likely not going to deter tens of thousands of willing participants from hitting the streets of downtown for the 33rd annual Vancouver Sun Run this morning.
The ten kilometre race begins on West Georgia and Burrard and will head west along West Georgia towards Stanley Park; it then takes a detour through the West End along Pacific Street, over the Burrard Street Bridge, cuts through the Fairview area before crossing the Cambie Street Bridge and finishing just outside BC Place.
Road closures will be in effect from 5 a.m. until 1:30 p.m., so drivers are being asked to plan alternate routes.
Downtown road closures:
- Seymour to Bute: 5 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Bute to Stanley Park Causeway (including all streets crossing Georgia): 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Drivers can access Lions Gate Bridge from Pender only between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m.
- Howe, Hornby and Burrard between Dunsmuir and Robson: 5 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Denman between Georgia and Robson: 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Robson between Denman and Stanley Park: 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Beach between Stanley Park and Hornby: 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Stanley Park Dr. at North Lagoon Dr.: 6 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Ryan Rd. at Park Lane/South Lagoon Dr.: 6 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Pacific St. between Burrard and Hornby (eastbound): 6 a.m. to noon
- Quebec and Carrall (near Expo and Pacific): 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Expo between Quebec and Terry Fox Way: 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Nelson between Expo and Pacific: 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Pacific Blvd. eastbound exit ramp from Cambie Bridge: 5 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Pacific Blvd. between Nelson and Abbott: 5 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Pacific Blvd. between Abbott and Quebec: 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Burrard Bridge: 8 a.m. to noon
- Cambie Bridge (northbound): 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Kitsilano and Fairview area road closures:
- West 2nd Ave. between Burrard and Fir: 8:30 a.m. to noon
- Fir between West 2nd Ave. and West 4th Ave.: 8:30 a.m. to noon
- West 4th Ave. and West 6th Ave. between Pine and Cambie: 8:30 a.m. to noon
- Cambie at West Broadway (northbound): 7:30 a.m. to noon
With files from Jill Slattery, Global News