A warning has been issued for pet owners in East Vancouver after two separate incidents of ‘booby trapped’ food being swallowed by dogs.
The first happened in Strathcona Park on April 3.
Pet owner DJ Larken says her dog Silas swallowed what looked like a piece of pizza that had seven feet of thread sewn through it.
Fortunately, she was able to remove the items from her pet.
“I didn’t report what happened to Silas at first because I was kinda hoping it was just a one-time thing.”
But it wasn’t a fluke, just days ago, the owner of Ball and Biscuit Boutique says her client’s dog had to have surgery after swallowing the same thing at the same park.
“The noticed that there were sewing needles and thread within the food. The dog was obviously in discomfort, and so they rushed off to the ER and that’s when they found that there was a needle stuck behind the larynx.”
That dog is now recovering and the BC SPCA is investigating.
With files from Nadia Stewart