Nanaimo RCMP has concentrated the search for a missing teen on a pair of properties in that city.
Sixteen-year-old Makayla Chang has now been missing for more than three weeks, and police say concern about her safety is growing.
“Looking at the fact that she’s been gone so long and the circumstances around her disappearance, we just can’t rule out foul play,” says Cst. Gary O’Brien with the Nanaimo RCMP.
O’Brien says the Vancouver Island Tactical Response Team has now executed a search warrant and is carrying out a ground search at a home on Bruce Ave. near the University Village Mall, along with the yard of a neighbouring property.
Chang was last seen in Downtown Nanaimo on March 17 and was thought to possibly be with 53-year-old Steven Bacon.
Police located Bacon last week and spoke with him, but are saying little else.
“We never indicated he was a suspect,” says O’Brien. “He is a person we believe has information that can assist us in locating Makayla.”
It’s the second time the home is being searched. O’Brien would not confirm if the residence was Bacon’s, but did say Chang had been known to spend time there.
“Now we’re doing a more thorough search, and the RCMP Tac team is trained on very detailed searching methods.”
Last week, a search of the Colliery Dam Park and Cat Stream Park failed to turn the missing girl up.