No serious injuries but lots of damage in a late-night apartment fire in White Rock.
It’s believed to have started on a second-floor balcony of the building in the 14800 block of Marine Drive, at 11pm.
Georgia Theodosakis and her husband own the Cosmos Greek Restaurant on the ground floor, and they were just closing up for the night when they heard the fire alarm.
“So we didn’t know where it was coming from so we opened the front door to see what was going on and we saw the flames from above and the broken glass coming down, so we quickly shut the door and we ran out through the back door because we do have gas lines inside the restaurant and were very afraid of the explosion.”
Vern Peterson lives on the first floor.
“We heard the alarm and I said close the door, I’m watching my show – Chicago Fire – believe it or not. And sure enough, my brother and I went down went through the fire doors and there was pretty serious black smoke in the ceiling.”
Fire Chief Phil Lemire credits the quick response by the 20 firefighters.
“We do have to commend the crews for the job they did when they first arrived. They got a good, quick knockdown on the fire which certainly helped to contain it to where it’s at now.”
He says 26 tenants from the 22 units had to be evacuated.
Lemire says one person was taken to hospital to be checked over for smoke inhalation.