Fraser Health says B.C. Coroners is set to officially release the cause of death in the case of a three-year-old girl at who died at Abbotsford Regional Hospital in early February.
Chief Medical Health Officer Victoria Lee with the health authority says preliminary lab tests show Nimrat Gill likely died of an invasive strain of strep disease.
“Group-A strep is a bacteria that can cause mild symptoms like strep throat but it can also cause invasive disease such as toxic shock syndrome. It is rare.”
Lee says an invasive form of the disease with severe symptoms similar to what Nimrat had can have a mortality rate as high as 70 per cent.
When Nimrat’s parents had taken her to the hospital with a fever in the morning of Feb. 6, they were told to go home and give her Tylenol.
When her condition deteriorated the next day, her parents took her back to the hospital.
While waiting for test results, Nimrat died.
After a complete review of the case, Fraser Health CEO Michael Marchbank says Fraser Health has implemented six actions directed towards pediatric care at hospitals.
“The top two are the implementation of the pediatric early warning signs, a clinical decision support tool in the emergency department, and the second is sepsis screening for all pediatric patients in the emergency departments across Fraser Health.”
They will also be pursuing other actions such as further education for training and staff.
However, Marchbank also says that increasing staff in emergency rooms will not be one of those actions.
Nimrat’s parents have declined to comment thus far.