The Health Ministry’s latest revelations of yet another PharmaNet privacy breach echoes the one in 2014, but the B.C. Freedom of Information and Privacy Association (FIPA) is asking why people aren’t being compensated this time around.
Just last week, the Health Ministry revealed that 7,500 people fell victim to a privacy breach despite allegedly being made aware of it six months ago.
FIPA’s Executive Director Vincent Gogolek says it shouldn’t be hard to compensate victims of this latest incident amid chatter of a massive surplus expected to be revealed in Tuesday’s budget.
“PharmaNet and the health system, it’s governed, were required to deal with them and we’re required to put our information in there and in return the government’s supposed to keep that safe.”
Gogolek says 1,600 people affected by 2014’s PharmaNet breach were credited with protection services against identity theft.
Back then, the body that governs the private sector in B.C., looked at the Personal Information Protection Act and recommended mandatory breach notifications.
“Has the government done anything about this in two years? No. Why not?”
Gogolek says the commissioner and FIPA continue to advocate for this change in law.
CKNW has reached out to the Health Ministry for comment but has yet to receive a response.