The mother of a young man who died of a drug overdose while at a treatment centre in Powell River is speaking out.
A jury at a coroner’s inquest makes 21 recommendations in the death of 20-year-old Brandon Jansen, including better access to suboxone treatment, and “improved standards and outcomes.”
Listen to the full interview:
The Jury ruled Jansen’s death was accidental, after a mixed opioid drug overdose.
Speaking on the Simi Sara Show, Michelle Jansen says obvious common sense measures that should have been in place for a high-risk client just weren’t in place.
“They put my son in a bedroom by himself when they knew he had a severe opioid addiction, and was at risk of relapse…..my son died in that room by himself because nobody….nobody checked on him.”
The inquest makes 21 recommendations, among them: a review of security and training.
“There were no security measures in place; there is no security cameras there, there is no staff monitoring the comings and goings.”
She says there are no guidelines or best practices criteria for addiction treatment centres, which she says needs to change.