Hundreds of women part of a class action lawsuit against the RCMP for enduring bullying and sexual harassment are one step closer to a settlement.
Lawyer David Klein, who represents the women, says Judge Ann Marie McDonald certified both lawsuits on Jan. 13.
Klein says it’s a critical step in the proposed agreement with the RCMP.
“Within in the next two weeks, a notice will go out by direct mail, as well as being published in newspapers around the country to let current and former women [who worked within the RCMP] know the case has been certified as a class action.”
So far, 800 women have come forward with allegations.
Klein says it’s a huge step in what has been a long process for many.
Last October, the RCMP publicly apologized to women and announced $100 million would be set aside fort settlements.
A formal approval hearing is expected in May.