John Furlong has issued a statement, accepting the apology issued earlier by UBC President Dr. Santa Ono.
Furlong says UBC recognized the “deep hurt and embarrassment” the cancellation of his participation caused him and his family.
In a written statement released today, Dr. Santa Ono said that while the decision was made in good faith, it was done without the knowledge of Ono or the Board of Governors, and without considering the impact it could have on Furlong or his family.
The former Olympics CEO was scheduled to speak February 28.
Last week the school announced Ono would replace Furlong at the event after some backlash on social media.
READ MORE: Ono in, Furlong out at UBC fundraiser
Furlong says his relationship with UBC goes back many years, and says the school is manifestly important to the soul of B.C.
“I accept UBC’s apology and regret for this decision and while very disappointed, I want to continue to put the students first.”
He asks everyone to support the event and help the aspiring athletic stars of UBC.
“I wish the event every success and trust that this most disheartening, humiliating experience can be a tipping point for improvement and that there can be some lasting good achieved.”
Ono replied to Furlong’s statement saying the school appreciates his comments and continued support of UBC Athletics.
“We are happy to commit to dedicating his full fee to the athletics fundraising effort, in addition to the university’s standing commitment to match all funds raised at the event.”
Furlong was caught up in controversy after abuse allegations were made against him in a 2012 article.
He’s consistently said he is innocent, an RCMP investigation into those allegations never led to charges, and nothing was ever proven in court.
With files from Liza Yuzda and Terry Schintz