The Surrey Fire Department says a homeless man in his mid-20’s was badly burned this afternoon by his camp stove.
Assistant Surrey Fire Chief Brian Woznikowski says crews were called to the area around 55th avenue and 18oth street just after noon, and arrived to find the injured man.
“He had second and third degree burns to his left arm and lower face area,” he says.
Woznikowski says crews are increasingly concerned about the homeless with the cold weather.
“Its very much a concern for the fire service and all first responders, because obviously taking any kind of heating device or propane tank indoors is very unsafe, and also people starting small fires to keep warm in an area that’s enclosed is very unsafe,” he says.
The man was rushed to hospital for treatment.
“We’re hoping the weather in the lower mainland changes soon, and that we get back to our regular rainy weather so that people can be safer,” he says.
Woznikowski says it’s still unclear exactly what happened with the stove that led to the burns.
Back in 2008, a homeless woman burned to death in downtown Vancouver when her makeshift shelter caught fire.
More to come…