Big changes to SkyTrain routes are now in place and seem to have gone smoothly, but transit watchers says the real test will come on Monday when commuters take to the rails.
As of this weekend, the Millenium Line will no longer travel to and from Waterfront. Instead, it will run between Lougheed Town Centre stations and VCC-Clark.
Meanwhile the Expo line now has two routes from between Waterfront and King George and Waterfront and Production-Way University stations.
Transport blogger Daryl Dela Cruz says while today has been so-far-so-good, he’s waiting to see what happens Monday.
“We’re getting started on a Saturday here and obviously this is going to give some of the occasional commuters some time to adjust that will take care of the peak commuter coming up this Monday.”
Transit critic Nathan Davidowicz echoes those concerns, and warns more work needs to be done to help customers find their way.
“Monday will be the real test day because there is more commuters than the weekend. Hopefully they can get all the signs and everything done properly overnight because they still have the old maps at the stations. Everything has to be updated.”
The SkyTrain route changes are meant to accommodate the Evergreen line, which is expected to open before Christmas.
Once it does, the Millennium line will move between VCC-Clark and Lafarge Lake-Douglas stations in Coquitlam.
Key SkyTrain route change details:
- The Expo Line will have two branches. One will travel between Waterfront in downtown Vancouver and King George Station in Surrey. A second will travel between Waterfront and Production Way-University in Burnaby.
- The Millennium Line will no longer travel to Waterfront Station, instead, it will travel east-west from VCC-Clark station in Vancouver to Lougheed Town Centre in Burnaby.
- Customers can transfer between Expo and Millennium lines at Commercial-Broadway, Lougheed Station or Production Way-University.
- Customers transferring between the Expo and Millennium Line at Production Way-University can hop off one train and onto another on the same platform.
- Once the Evergreen Extension opens, the Millennium Line will operate between VCC-Clark and Lafarge Lake/Douglas stations. Customers will have a one-seat ride between Lafarge Lake/Douglas and VCC-Clark with no transfer required.