A three-year-old boy in Victoria has died after eating what health authorities say was a poisonous mushroom.
Dr. Richard Stanwick with Island Health says the boy was foraging with a family member downtown when he plucked and consumed what’s known as the “death cap” mushroom.
“This is not off the beaten path. These mushrooms were literally feet off a public sidewalk.”
“And in all likelihood it was because of the toxins that he ingested from this death cap mushroom that was picked in downtown Victoria.”
Stanwick says the death cap mushroom is similar to the more popular paddy straw mushroom.
“Given the emergence of the species in urban areas, there’s no such thing as casual mushroom picking. You can’t assume the product is safe because it’s in your own backyard.”
In fact, Stanwick says the mushroom was first identified on the island on the grounds of the Lieutenant Governor.