Six Canadian companies have received “notices of violations’ with penalties totaling $420,000 for making non-compliant telemarketing calls to Canadians.
Just Energy Corp received the biggest fine.
The companies and the penalties are:
- Just Energy Corp. – $240,000
- Green Planet Home Services Inc. – $90,000
- 4140800 Canada Inc. (operating as Coolheat Comfort Systems Inc.) – $36,000
- Canglow Windows and Doors Inc. – $30,000
- Budget Heating and Plumbing Services – $12,000
- Natures Carpet Cleaning (2012) Ltd. – $12,000
The CRTC found the companies called Canadians whose numbers were registered on the National “Do Not Call List” and some made the calls during restricted hours.
“Today’s announcement shows how complaints submitted by Canadians about allegedly illegal telemarketing calls play an important role in our investigations. The information they provide help us to identify trends and more effectively target our enforcement actions,” said Manon Bombardier, CRTC Chief Compliance and Enforcement Officer, in a statement.
The National Do Not Call List was launched in 2008 to protect Canadians from unsolicited telecommunications.
Canadians may register their numbers permanently on the List at no charge. Over 13 million numbers are currently registered on the List.