Friends of 16-year-old Gwyn Staddon, who died of an apparent overdose at a Port Moody Starbucks, have taken to social media to share their pain.
The Coquitlam teen was found unresponsive in a Starbucks washroom late yesterday.
“F- drugs. F- dealers F- up lives, destroying families,” those just some of the angry words from one friend.
“I wish I could have helped you get clean off those drugs, and I’m sorry I was too late — it hurts to know that you’ll no longer be here and I can’t see your smiling, beautiful face anymore” writes another.
“The Starbucks employee had located this unresponsive female in the washroom and immediately called 911.”
Port Moody Police Sgt. Travis Carroll says the discovery turned tragic when Staddon was not able to be revived after what appears to be a drug overdose at the Starbucks on Ioco Road.
Investigation underway, drug overdose suspected
Carroll says drug paraphernalia and a small amount of drugs were found at the scene, but it’s unclear if fentanyl was involved.
“In Port Moody we haven’t seen a whole lot of drug overdoses in the last little while, but it’s something that’s not limited to one community…it’s something that’s worldwide, really.”
The investigation is continuing, and toxicology tests aren’t back yet. Carroll says efforts are being made to support all involved at this time.
“The Port Moody Police Victims Services Unit has been deployed to support the family members that did arrive at the time of the tragedy, and Starbucks staff are being spoken to by critical incident teams.”
The Coroners Service is also investigating.