That’s how much the province is pledging for a program that helps parents address behavioural problems in their children.
Parent Paula Littlejohn, who used the “Confident Parents: Thriving Program” with her son, says the coaching program changed her family’s lives.
“I think we would have been more exasperated, I think there would be more tantrums…more…you’d feel like you just couldn’t do it, you would give up. And you never want to give up on your kids. You want to be there for them. So for me I think it just gave me the direction I needed so it was positive.”
According the website, the program focuses on five key principles:
- Encouragement of positive behaviour.
- Systematic, mild consequences for negative behaviour.
- Monitoring of children’s activities, peers etc.
- Problem-solving to prevent problems and address day-to-day family living issues.
- Positive involvement in children’s interests, activities, and social development.
Minister of Children and Family Development Stephanie Cadieux says the funds will help keep the program running for at least another year.