It appears the province has no plans to slow down the growth happening in some Surrey neighbourhoods.
It comes even after school trustees passed a unanimous motion on Thursday calling for a halt in development.
The motion tabled by Laurae McNally suggested provincial funding for new schools isn’t keeping up with the pace of population growth in the fastest growing city in the province.
That’s why they called on the city to halt the development happening in the Clayton, Grandview/South Surrey, and Newton areas.
But education minister Mike Bernier is singing a different tune.
In a statement to CKNW, Bernier says he understands the challenges facing the school district, but hints at major projects already being underway with more slated to come.
He says as the city moves forward, Surrey and other districts experiencing similar growth will be a priority for future capital investments.
READ: Mike Bernier’s full statement to CKNW below
I understand the challenges Surrey has and I’ve discussed them with the board when we met a few months ago.
My Ministry is working closely with the Surrey district to find ways to deal with the intense pressures from growth.
As we move forward, Surrey and other districts experiencing growth will be a priority for future capital investments.
There are several major projects underway and more slated to come – the new Clayton North Secondary and additions to three elementary schools are under way – projects worth $64.6 million.
These projects will create 1,870 spaces for Surrey.
Since 2001, we’ve invested more than $337 million for 55 capital and seismic projects, and 12 site acquisitions in Surrey.
Last year we completed Goldstone Park and Katzie elementary schools, and additions to Fraser Heights and Panorama Ridge Secondary. These projects, worth a total of $44.2 million, created 1,160 spaces for elementary and 500 secondary spaces in Surrey.