A fire at a hotel converted into housing for the homeless in downtown Vancouver has left one person dead.
Vancouver Fire and Rescue Assistant Chief Joe Foster says crews arrived at the former Quality Inn on Howe Street just before 9pm, 20 minutes later the fire in a fourth floor suite was put out.
One Person was inside.
“We did a primary search, found a victim and brought them out. We performed CPR and unfortunate through the treatment and process he had succumb to his injuries.”
Foster says it’s too early to tell how the fire started.
“It involved a mattress of some kind and we don’t know the extent of how it started.”
No word on if the fire is considered suspicious, Foster says crews will investigate tonight.