Wondering what to eat this weekend?
In honour of the beginning of the Lunar New Year on Monday, February 8, Fraser Health has shared a list of foods that symbolize luck, health, and prosperity in Chinese tradition:
1. Fish is one of the most important dishes served during Chinese New Year, signifying a good start and a good end for the coming year.
Steaming with ginger, parsley and green onion is a delicious way to prepare this meal.
2. Chinese broccoli, also known as gai lan, signifies a long life for your parents.
These long leafy greens taste great steamed with a light drizzle of oil.
3. Lettuce wraps represent wealth and rising fortune.
Add lucky toppings such as chicken and fish to make this a tasty dish.
4. Noodles symbolize longevity.
There are a variety of types to select from, including whole wheat and rice noodles.
5. Dumplings are a symbol of prosperity.
These are delicious steamed or boiled with a vegetable or meat filling.
6. Chicken represents wholeness and togetherness of the family.
Go with the healthy option of steaming or baking your chicken.
7. Pomelo signifies prosperity and status.
This big citrus fruit is rich with Vitamin C and has many health benefits.
8. Tangerines and oranges symbolize wealth and luck.
They also make great snacks.
(source: Fraser Health)