UPDATE: 12:45pm, January 23
A 17-year-old boy has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder in the La Loche mass shooting at both a school and home.
The suspect can’t be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
He will make his first court appearance next week.
RCMP Superintendent Grant St. Germaine described the harrowing situation inside the school.
“Shortly after entering the school one of the responding members located a male with a firearm in the school and he was pursued by the member. Members continued searching the school using specialized techniques until the armed male was located. Members took the male into costudy at gunpoint using verbal commands and safely secured the loaded firearm.”
The four victims in the mass shooting have now been identified.
RCMP confirmed in a press conference that 17-year-old Dayne Fontaine and 13-year-old Drayden Fontaine were shot dead inside their northern Saskatchewan home.
Earlier, multiple media outlets reported that Uxbridge, Ontario native Adam Wood, also a teacher at La Loche Community School, was among the victims of a deadly shooting in northern Saskatchewan.
— Peter Kim (@PeterKimGlobal) January 23, 2016
And prior to that, 23-year-old Marie Janvier, a teacher’s aide, was also named as one of the victims by her father Kevin to the Associated Press.
Saskatchewan Premier offers condolences, pledges support
Premier Brad Wall held a press conference shortly after the Saturday RCMP release.
“We are praying for a swift and complete recovery for those who are wounded. We will be praying as well for the community, for La Loche which has suffered deep wounds by yesterday’s events. To have the lives and the future of these students and staff cut short by this unspeakable horrible event is simply unimaginable.”
Wall says he will be travelling alongside Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and Chief of the Assembly of First Nations Perry Bellegarde to La Loche on Sunday.
He has promised counselling services to La Loche to help the community in need.
RCMP say four people dead in La Loche shooting
RCMP Chief Superintendent Maureen Levy can only confirm four people have been killed in the La Loche shooting, contradicting earlier comments from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who said five people had been killed.
“I can confirm that initial reports said there were five deceased, however at the present time there is four individuals deceased as a result of this tragedy, and there are other injuries and they are being treated by health care professionals at this time.”
Trudeau, speaking from Davos Switzerland, says this is every parents worst nightmare.
“When I spoke with community leaders they obviously expressed that the community is reeling. And all of us, across this country, our hearts are going out to the families and to the whole community.”
He says the RCMP have also told him the alleged shooter is now in custody and they have the situation under control.
La Loche Community School
The La Loche Community school teaches both elementary and high school students serving more than 850 students in two buildings.
The shooting took place in the school’s Dene building, which houses about 350 students in grades seven to 12.
Earlier today, RCMP had been asking parents and residents to stay away from an “active shooting situation.’
Just before noon, La Loche Community School wrote on its Facebook page it was dealing with an emergency at the Dene High School, and the elementary school was also under lockdown.
Community in shock
Premier Brad Wall says in a statement ‘words cannot express my shock and sorrow’ and that crisis support and counselling services will be provided.
“Thriving Dene community”
The North Lights School District describes La Loche as “a thriving Dene community with a population of over 2000 people.”