Every year, the Insurance Bureau of Canada releases a list of the ten most stolen vehicles in Canada, and once again Ford trucks ans SUVs are a hot commodity for car thieves.
Overall, there’s been a decline in car theft over the last decade, there was a slight bump last year with thefts up 1% to nearly 74,000 vehicles.
The biggest increase was right here in B.C., with a whopping 29% jump in thefts.
Top 10 List 2015
- FORD F350 SD 4WD PU 2005
- FORD F350 SD 4WD PU 2006
- FORD F350 SD 4WD PU 2007
- CADILLAC ESCALADE 4DR 4WD SUV 2006
- FORD F350 SD 4WD PU 2003
- FORD F250 SD 4WD PU 2006
- FORD F350 SD 4WD PU 2001
- FORD F250 SD 4WD PU 2004
- FORD F250 SD 4WD PU 2007
- FORD F250 SD 4WD PU 2001
Anti-theft tips from IBC
- Never leave your vehicle running when unattended.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- When parking your car, always close the windows, lock the doors, and pocket and protect your keys.
- Put your valuables and packages in the trunk, where they’re out of sight.
- Keep your car in the garage at night.
- Don’t leave personal information in the glove box. Take your insurance and ownership documents with you when you park your vehicle.
IBC also cautions against identity theft, as car thieves not only steal vehicles and the valuables in it, they may steal people’s identity through ownership and insurance documents.
In 2014, there were 12,729 cases of identity theft in Canada, an increase of 8%.