The new system to monitor high-risk offenders in the province appears to be behind schedule.
At an unrelated event on Tuesday, Justice Minister Suzanne Anton was asked when exactly it will roll out: “I expect we’ll have an announcement on that fairly soon.”
A Ministry spokesperson says BC Corrections expects to start phasing in the new technology with clients in mid-December.
The spokesperson says training with the new devices and software is currently underway.
The ministry initially said rollout would be in November.
Monitoring system in the spotlight
The current system came under fire following the murder of 17-year-old Serena Vermeersch in Surrey.
Raymond Caissie is the high-risk offender charged in her death, and was not being monitored electronically at the time.
Earlier this year, Anton admitted the current system was ‘out of date.’
It relies on corrections officials monitoring offenders by phone and in-person visit. A type of ankle bracelet also exists, but offenders can’t be tracked if they go out of bounds or fail to return to their halfway house.
The new system, contracted to a U.K. company back in august will use GPS to allow corrections officials to track offenders and monitor whether they’re sticking to release conditions.