Thousands of people across the Lower Mainland will gather tomorrow to pay their respects to Canada’s veterans and the fallen in foreign wars.
There are dozens of events planned around the region, and we’ve prepared a map guide to help you find the ceremony in your community.
Vancouver’s major event is held at the Victory Square Cenotaph at the intersection of West Hastings and Cambie street. Meet at 9:45 for a performance by the Bach Youth Choir, a ceremony at 10:30 am, pipe band performances, and two minutes of silence at 11 am. A parade follows the ceremony.
The city his also hosting events at:
- Memorial South Park Cenotaph 41st Avenue and Windsor Street 10:30 am
- Japanese Canadian War Memorial in Stanley Park 10:40 am
- Grandview Park 1657 Charles Street at Commercial Drive 10:45 am
- Royal Vancouver Yacht Club 3811 Point Grey Road (can be viewed from Hastings Mill Park) 10:55 am
- CRAB Park at Portside 10:55 am
- Chinatown Memorial, Keefer at Columbia streets 12:30 pm
Surrey / Langley
Surrey’s main event, Surrey Remembers kicks off at the Surrey Museum and Archives at 17710-56A Avenue at 9:30 am and runs until 1:30 pm. It will feature a ceremony, along with a variety of interactive and educational family events, as well as demonstrations and musical performances.
- Surrey is holding a second event at noon at the Surrey Centre Cemetery at 16671 Old McLellan Road, where more than 500 veterans are buried. A display of military vehicles will also be present.
- In White Rock a the Royal Canadian Legion hosts a Parade from the White Rock Elementary School to the White Rock Cenotaph beside City Hall (15322 Buena Vista Avenue). Parade gathers at 9:15, ceremony at 10:30
- The Aldergrove Legion at 26607 Fraser Highway hosts a Parade and Service. Parade begins at 10:40 Am, from Old Yale Road and 268 st, with a ceremony at the legion at 10:50. The Fraser Blues aerial team will do a flypast.
- The Langley Legion hosts a parade at 10:25am leaving 20570 56th Avenue and ending with a ceremony at the Langley City Cenotaph at 11 am. The Fraser Blues aerial team will do a flypast.
- The Fort Langley Cemetery hosts a procession and service at 9045 Glover Road. Parade at 10:25, service at 10:40. The Fraser Blues aerial team will do a flypast.
- West Vancouver hosts a 10 am service at the Memorial Arch in Memorial park on Marine Drive between 19th Street and 20th Street.
- North Vancouver hosts a Ceremony at 10:30 am at the Victoria Park Cenotaph, followed by a procession.
Burnaby / New Westminster
Burnaby is hosting two major events.
- In North Burnaby, the Royal Canadian Legion is leading a parade ending at Confederation Park, for a ceremony at 11 am. Meet up for the parade at 10:30 am at the Safeway parking lot at 4440 Hastings Street.
- In South Burnaby, the Legion is leading a parade ending at the South Burnaby Cenotaph in Bonsor Park for an 11 am ceremony. To join the parade meet at Fire Hall #3 at 6511 Marlborough Avenue at 10:30 am.
- New Westminster hosts a parade and ceremony at City Hall at 10:30 am. Parade assembly is at 10:25am at Queens Avenue and 6th Street, with the ceremony itself at the cenotaph in front of city hall. The city is providing public seating on Royal Avenue.
Richmond / Delta
- Richmond’s official events take place at City Hall. A parade begins at 10:20 am, followed by official proceedings at the city hall cenotaph at 10:40 am. A two minute silence followed by wreath laying will be observed at 11:00 am. Richmond is also live streaming the events.
- In South Delta the Royal Canadian Legion is organizing a parade and ceremony. The Parade starts at 10:15 am form the Legion at 4896 Delta Street, for a 10:45 am ceremony at the Cenotaph at Ladner Memorial Park.
- In North Delta the Kennedy House Senior’s Society hosts an event at the North Delta Social Heart Plaza at 11415 84 Avenue. A ceremony will be held at 10:40 am.
- Coquitlam The Royal Canadian Legion hosts a 9:30 am Remembrance Day service at Como Lake Middle School (1121 King Albert Ave.) followed by a 10:40 parade to the Cenotaph on Blue Mountain Park, for a second 10:40 am service.
- The Port Moody Legion hosts a non-denominational service at Kyle Centre at 125 Kyle Street followed by 10:30 AM parade to the cenotaph, with two minutes of silence at 11 am. Afternoon events events are scheduled at the Kyle centre from 12:30-7pm, but are 19+.
- Port Coquitlam has two event scheduled. The first is an indoor service at 9:30 am at Wilson Centre, 2150 Wilson Avenue. That’s followed by an outdoor service at Veterans Park, 2580 Shaughnessy Street at 11 am.
- Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows – Memorial Peace Park at 224th Street. Parade starts at 10:30 am, ceremony starts at 11 am.
- Abbotsford – Ceremony at 10:30 am at the Cenotaph in Thunderbird Memorial Square off Veterans Way. 32315 South Fraser Way.
- Mission – Remembrance Day Parade and Service. 10:00 am. The parade will form up at the Ecole des Deaux Rives on Stave Lake Street and march of at 10:15 am. At 10:40 am, a service of Remembrance begins in the Clarke Theatre. 33700 Prentis Ave.
The Squamish Remembrance day event takes place at 10:30 at the Brennan Park Recreation Centre at 1009 Centennial Way, followed by a visit to downtown Squamish’s Cenotaph.