It was a case of incomplete information.
That’s what BC Emergency Health Services is saying about a troubling story we ran earlier today.
This morning Port Coquitlam Fire Chief Nick Delmonico was on the radio telling us about a four-year-old boy who had been hit over the head with a shovel and despite calling 911 an ambulance never showed up and his parents had to drive him to hospital.
Executive Vice President of BC Emergency Health Services Linda Lupini says the call initially came in as an assault and there was nothing to indicate a child was hurt.
“The initial call was simply the RCMP saying there is screaming, somebody has been hit, there’s an assault, we will let you know when we figure out more about what’s going on.”
Lupini says an ambulance was dispatched when firefighters called asking the ETA but it was diverted to another emergency (a code three call).
Earlier the Fire Chief in Port Coquitlam expressed fustration over ambulance delays.
Nick Delmonico says an assault call came in Wednesday just after 6 p.m.
When crews arrived they found a four-year-old boy had been hit over the head with a shovel by a younger child.
When fire called BC Ambulance Service to ask where were the paramedics, they were told “there’s no car available.”
At 6:30 p.m., the family decided to take the child to hospital in their car.