North Vancouver RCMP say a 31 year old man is dead, and once again, they suspect it’s fentanyl-related.
The victim was recently found in distress by a family member, who called 9-1-1. He could not be saved and died at the scene.
Corporal Geoff Harder speaks for the North Vancouver RCMP.
“In the aftermath of that, it’s believed, we have done a bit more investigation into it and it looks as though it’s possible it’s fentanyl related.”
They have to get a report back from toxicology. But police say in the home they found, they found a green pill with “80” stamped on one side, and that’s consistent with the fentanyl cases they have seen.
Teenage Boy Taken Off Life Suuport After Fentanyl Overdose
A teenager who overdosed on fentanyl last weekend is now dead.
Both were rushed to hospital.
The 16-year-old pulled through, but the 17-year-old was taken off life support.
Fentanyl is a powerful, dangerous drug, up to 100 times more toxic than morphine.
Police are issuing warnings about it across Metro Vancouver.
It’s often being mixed in with other street and party drugs.
Two more deaths related to fentanyl over the B.C. Day long weekend in Metro Vancouver: A 17-year-old boy, and a 31-year-old man.
There have been more than 75 fentanyl-related deaths in B.C. over the past year. (Global News)
Police say fentanyl can be found in many forms and is often mixed with other drugs, and is 50 to 100 times more toxic than morphine.
– 2012: 5% of drug fatalities were fentanyl-related
– 2013: 13 fentanyl-linked deaths
– 2014: 84 of 336 fatal drug overdoses were fentanyl related
– December: Vancouver pharmacy was robbed of its fentanyl patches.
– December: Vancouver Police are issuing a warning after the death of a 24 year old man who thought he was taking oxycodone.
– March: VPD warning about fentanyl laced in marijuana.
– April: Six month investigation Project Triioer yields drug bust of 23,000 fentanyl pills.
– May: Abbotsford PD issue fentanyl warning, a dozen died in Abbotsford last year.
– May: Vancouver Police issue warning after drug store robbery of fentanyl.
– June 30, Abbotsford: Woman dies from OD.
– July 10: Abbotsford Police issue another warning after fentanyl fatal.
– July 15: Surrey RCMP issue warning about fentanyl.
– July 16, Surrey: 8 people OD. None die, three were near fatal. Users thought they were buying heroin.
– July 20, N Van: 2 people OD, die
– July 29: Coquitlam RCMP issue fentanyl warning
– July 31: 31-year-old North Vancouver man found dead in home after apparent fentanyl overdose.
– August 1: Two teenagers (aged 16 and 17) found passed out in Vancouver park after fentanyl overdose. 16 year old recovers and released from Vancouver Children’s Hospital, 17 year old dies.