Firefighters in West Vancouver had to deal with three brush fires in three hours today.
And they were all caused by tossed cigarettes.
The first one sparked this morning near Park Royal, the other in Ambleside, and the third in the British Properties.
“Because it’s happening during the day, they’re recognized very early. So they’re sitting there smoldering and before they actually really get going, and people are catching them. My concern is what happens at night when people have obviously gone to bed for the evening.”
Assistant fire chief Jeff Bush says the fires were all relatively small, but he’s worried that the risk will only get worse as the summer continues.
He adds whoever used those cigarettes were “very, very careless.”