Good news, after a nightmare commute for thousands of SkyTrain riders Friday morning.
Translink says service has resumed along the Expo Line after what’s being described as a freak accident after trains were knocked out between Joyce-Collingwood and Waterfront stations.
Acting interim CEO Doug Allen has apologized for the disruptions that left thousands of commuters waiting in line for a bus bridge.
“Do we have challenges from time to time? Of course. Do we respond well? I would say today we did, yes. As I said earlier on, there are disruptions that cause difficulty for customers. We recognize that. We get it. We understand that. We did our best today and let’s hope that we continue to do so.”
Translink spokesperson Anne Drennan says a spark from regular maintenance crews flew into a bird’s nest under the guideway, just east of the Main Street Station.
It caused a small fire that burned a metre of key communications cables.
Translink is offering free transit for the rest of the day.
“We couldn’t control what happened today,” Drennan says, “but that doesn’t make it any better for the people that were affected. So it’s just a bit of an olive branch saying we’re so sorry and it’s free for the rest of the day.”
Drennan says users who have already purchased their tickets today or who own a monthly pass should hang on to them. She says Translink will figure out a way to compensate them.
Commuter Renato Risi says problems on SkyTrain are becoming far too common, and it is not right.
“You can’t rely on it. You rely more on the buses than you do on the Skytrain system. It always breaks down.”
Although some commuters say Translink is doing a better job.
While early commuters said there were no announcements on board, riders now say they were aware of the shutdown when they arrived at their first station.