Vancouver firefighters had to call in extra resources on Tuesday to help a number of people with mobility issues leave from a building in Chinatown as the HazMat team investigated a suspicious smell inside.
Capt. Brian Hutchison says the team was originally called to 350 Keefer St. because a woman was feeling dizzy and nauseated.
But he says when crews arrived and detected a strong chemical smell inside, they made the decision to evacuate the building.
They’ve since discovered the source was a cleaning crew.
“They were using large amounts of ammonia for that cleaning process, but had not put proper ventilation processes in place so the fumes had accumulated within the building.”
Hutchison says the building was being ventilated, and residents and workers would be allowed back in the mixed-used building shortly.
He says the evacuation needed additional resources because the number of people inside reliant on elevators.