“We’ve been doing this work for 25 years and never had an incident like this.”
That’s Martin Wyant, the CEO of Share and Family Services.
He says they have no idea how camphor mothballs were found in bags of mixed candy put out by their food bank in Port Moody.
The mothballs are individually wrapped, and look like mints normally found in restaurants.
Wyant says they’re doing what they can to reach out.
“We’ll be calling people, we’ll be sending out letters too. And we’ll be organizing to have people try and go connect with homeless folks that are a client.”
Fraser Health says any candy picked up from the Share Food Bank should be wrapped up and thrown away, and to call poison control if they’ve eaten any of it.
The Food Bank says they’ve stopped distributing candy until further notice.